Monday 16 May 2011

Plusia sp.



Two shots of a plusia sp. taken this am in my garden. Unfortunately it would not stop fanning its wings - I'll try again later when I've cooled it down. As you see the Y shape is broken, fitting the Ni Moth, however I've taken the Ni several times and it the wing-formula doesn't fit, nor colouration. Scar Bank Gem is also ruled out. The black apex and the lighter grey colour suggest a Silver Y (A. gamma) also the crosslines (antemedian & postmedian fascias). I would therefore hazard a guess at an aberrant Silver Y, one I've never seen before. If so, then it's the second aberration of the this I've had in my garden, the last was A.gamma f. nigricans a rare black variation. I'll post another photo later when it appears calmer.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think it's Silver Y. First impression is Ni, but I'd like to see it properly if you can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This subsequently proved to be Silver Y

    ReplyDelete