Wednesday 25 September 2013

Moth


Two more pics of this moth yesterday. It was just over half inch (5/8*) long. The underwing was a off white with a pale greyish fringe, bit like black rustic but fringe more pronounced. I know the reniform stigma has a whitish edge, not unlike cabbage moth, but the absence of any pronounced subterminal fascia which all the cabbage moths I have seen, has been strongly present - in this moth it doesn't show up well, if at all. I must admit I cannot for the life me see why I called it a Brindled Green - although I did the trap after a night shift! Any suggestions welcome.
As for this am, only real surprise was banded Riband Wave and my first Blair's S/k.
[* = Can't do foreign measurements, Imperial only I'm afraid. Just ask MCP, he has to translate to me when out in the field.]

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a Black Rustic to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would say Black Rustic also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still looks more like a Cabbage Moth to me, note the thin white sub-terminal line which is strongest in the tornal and sub-apical areas, also the pale dorsal half of the post-median fascia - none of the characters are shown by BR. It's good to look a little more critically at our commoner species every now and then, but still happy to be proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. I hope there's nothing rarer we're missing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I wasn't convinced on that Barry, but I think my problem was the colour, and looking again I wonder if the brown background has upset Jake's camera. Ignoring the colour, the markings do certainly fit Cabbage better than the various members of the Cuculliinae that have been suggested.

    ReplyDelete