Saturday 27 August 2016

Copper Underwing

Just getting the box ready for later and had an early arrival - a Copper Underwing landed on the window. Very skittish but I managed to catch it and grab some pictures without it getting away.

I've logged it as Copper Underwing but the palps suggest Svensson's - is this a reliable indicator? I've just checked my records, and strangely on 27 August last year I posted the exact same query - the result of which was that I logged it as Copper Underwing agg ! Maybe I've answered my own query.



1 comment:

  1. Your palps look inconclusive to me - they are both paler at the front and at the tip. It is better to try to see the undeside of the hindwings, which is really not easy, but if agitated (as yours appeared to be) it can be done!

    ReplyDelete