Monday 10 August 2015

Cefn Mably Woods

A rare evening of mild and cloudy weather induced a spur of the moment trapping session in mixed woodland at Cefn Mably Woods, NE Cardiff. I always find woodlands a bit disappointing in August and so was reasonably pleased with 56 species in two and a half hours with a single MV. The most striking feature of the night was the abundance of Black Arches - I counted 65 and they were still arriving thick and fast as I packed up. I wonder what the total would have been if I'd stayed all night?

Highlights included Triple-spotted Pug (fitting as the trap was sited in damp rideside habitat), Clay Triple-Lines (2), Clouded Magpie (7), Evergestis pallidata and Schreckensteinia festaliella (always nice to catch up with this odd little moth).

No comments:

Post a Comment