Sunday 13 April 2014

Lanlay Meadows - a bit of a damp squib

With a rare cloudy evening in prospect yesterday I decided at short notice to trap at Lanlay Meadows, Peterston-super-Ely - a new site for me and my first outing with the generator this year. Although the temperature held up at around 9 or 10C, there was constant fine drizzle being driven through on a westerly breeze, and some occasional heavier bursts (despite no rain in the forecast).

The catch was pretty disappointing, with just 15 species recorded at my MV plus two 6W actinics. Nothing worthy of note, but new for me this year were Brimstone, Early Tooth-striped, Streamer, V-Pug, Oak-tree Pug, Phyllonorycter rajella, Epinotia immundana and Eriocrania subpurpurella. Also three caddis species: Stenophylax permistus, Limnephilus auricula and L. sparsus.

I saw virtually no moths in my headlights on the way home, so I think it was probably just a duff night.

It's a nice site with rhos pasture, hay meadows and some cracking oaks along the boundaries, and I'm sure it will be productive for grassland species in the summer. I have permission from the NT to do regular trapping this year, so if you fancy joining me send me an email or leave a comment below and I'll try and let you know a few days in advance of my next visit.

George

3 comments:

  1. Just to add...I don't think the site has been trapped before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested George, let me know please.

    ReplyDelete