Friday 29 June 2012

Rhoose

And finally here are the two I'm not sure about.  I think the first is Wormwood Pug.  It is the first time I have seen this, and I'm not good at id'ing Pugs so would appreciate confirmation if possible.





























I see quite a few Cochylids in the garden trap, and this one looks most like C. dubitana to me, but the thorax is not properly black like the other examples I've seen, and the colours/pattern closest to the termen just don't look right.  It also clearly isn't molliculana or hybridella and doesn't look right for atricapitana either.  Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. Wormwood Pug looks right. I'll get back to you on the Cochylis when I've woken up, but it's not atricapitana as that has a black head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey Dave, you're up early today! Not sure if you mean my photo isn't an atricapitana with a black head, or generally speaking atricapitana doesn't have a black head (if you see what I mean!). UKMoths says atricapitana has a 'blackish' head & thorax...

    Head & palps Thorax
    C. dubitana white blackish
    C. atricapitana blackish blackish
    C. hybridella white white

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam - this would suggest that your specimen is hybridella, as the thorax looks white(ish). As Dave says, definitely not atricapitana - I get a lot of these and the head and thorax are always blackish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Goerge - it is hybridella.

    ReplyDelete