Friday 18 December 2015

Gorseinon

With the recent flurry of migrants on the south coast of England, I ran the garden tap for the first time in ages last night. The only moth in the trap was a lonely December Moth (just our 3rd garden record). The only other moths I've seen this month so far were all on the kitchen window, firstly a Northern Winter Moth on the 2nd (new for the garden!) and Winter Moth and Epiphyas on the 10th. With a forewing of 19mm, the Northern Winter Moth was convincingly big as well as pale.

4 comments:

  1. In a way, I was glad (otherwise I`d be mighty jealous!) that you did n`t get any migrants as I too put my trap out last night, only to bring it in at c 12.00am with just one winter moth. Another trap, left at a friend`s porch at a Llanelli house just had the same, plus a mottled umber. It`s going to pour tonight, but there`s some juicy migrants on the English S coast....perhaps S Wales too? Blinking rain! Well done for trying, Barry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing in my trap this morning :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. No moths, anyway. I did trap a single mirid bug - Pinalitus cervinus - and lots of small flies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty similar in Creigiau. I've been putting the trap out for the winter GMS but December has been abysmal. Nothing at all on 03, a December Moth and LBAM on 13 and 2 December Moth last night. Haven't seen a Winter Moth this year.

    ReplyDelete