Thursday 23 April 2015

Nicholaston Woods, Oxwich

Yesterday was a good opportunity before the weather changes to try this interesting woodland on a steep, rocky hillside. I had around 100 moths of 30 species with just one micro, Alucita hexadactyla.
Waved Umber is always a favourite, and I think this is a melanic one. There were a dozen Square Spot and 4 Nut-tree Tussock, both firsts for the year. Also I think I have got the Brindled and (smaller) Oak-tree Pugs right? Also found a very active bee tree earlier in the afternoon on the site.
Brindled Pug

Oak-tree Pug

Bee nest in ash.

Waved Umber melanic

Waved Umber

Square Spot

Nut-tree Tussock
 

2 comments:

  1. Good catch Chris, sorry now I was unable to join you. I think the melanic is actually a Square-spot. Without checking, the OTPug look good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barry. Yes, I can see now the melanic does fit Square Spot better!

    ReplyDelete