Sunday 18 June 2017

Hensol revisited

I trapped at Hensol Forest last night, repeating my 27th May session by running 3 traps (125W MV, 6W actinic & 3W LED) for 3 hours. The overall catch was a bit bigger on this occasion, with 78 species recorded in total (it dropped to 14C by the end - so not an especially warm evening compared with tonight!). I caught very few micros during my May session but on this occasion they stole the show, with some nice records: Ancylis diminutana (2nd VC41 record), Crambus uliginosellus, Epinotia rubiginosana, Cochylis nana, Strophedra weirana and Epermenia falciformis.

Ancylis diminutana
Crambus uliginosellus
I was pleased with the Crambus as I thought I was probably overlooking it at C. pascuella, if indeed I'd ever seen it, but in the event it was reassuringly different with relatively short wings, a sandy ground colour and a broader white streak. There is another record of it nearby, from Welsh St Donats in 1929. Presumably they breed in the wet woodland at Hensol, or in the mire habitats at Pysgodlyn Mawr.

The macros were less exciting, with only Beautiful Carpet (new ST07) and Waved Carpet (well known from this locality) of note. It was nice to see a few Lobsters too.
Beautiful Carpet

No comments:

Post a Comment