Friday 4 July 2014

Parc Slip moth morning

I had a successful moth morning event at Parc Slip today after a warm night. Almost 200 moths of 80+ species with quite a few micros escaping while the children were enjoying the elephant and poplar hawkmoths! Not quite as many flashy species as last week but a few first for the year: rosy footman, scalloped oak, dotted clay, antler moth, true lover's knot, dingy footman, barred straw, shaded broad-bar, common emerald, pine carpet, Pseudargyrotoza conwagana and Carcina quercana. Also present was Nicrophorus investigator, absolutely covered in mites. As my normally trustworthy helper overslept (naming no names Paul...) I have a few I am unsure of: 
Is the above Apamea sp.? I couldn't pin it down to species annoyingly.

Cream wave? The dots on the forewing are confusing me a bit...
Round-winged muslin? I've only ever caught 1 and it looked a bit different to this.

No idea with this one...

Marasmarcha lunaedactyla? I assume blown in from the coast if so?

Phlyctaenia stachydalis as opposed to coronata?

Any help gratefully received!

2 comments:

  1. I'd go for Common Rustic agg., Lesser Cream Wave, Small Dotted Buff, Anarsia spartiella (f), the plume is good and the Phlyctaenia looks ok for stachydalis but is a bit worn

    ReplyDelete