Monday 27 May 2013

Cwmbach/Abernant, Last Night

Filled with enthusiasm from helping out with trapping at Coed-y-Bedw, the night before, but realising I was unlikely to reach the giddy heights of 26 species, I went and trapped at my current favourite local site, Werfa.
The temperature at 21:45, when I started the trap, was 10 C, but it quickly dropped and was 5 C by the time I was knocking down, at 00:35 and 3 C, 30 minutes later.
Predictably, given the cold conditions, moths were few and far between, with just seven individuals of seven species, including probably the only Streamer I'm going to see this year and this worn tort, which I think is Acleris hastiana, but if anyone has a better suggestion I'd like to know, please.

Acleris hastiana?
Nematopogon swammerdamella
Agonopterix arenella
The Streamer
Pale Tussock
Lunar Marbled Brown
Nut-tree Tussock

At least the clear skies allowed me to see a wonderfully dazzling Iridium flare, at just before eleven.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,

    I agree with Acleris hastiana, though as you say it's very worn so hard to be 100% sure.

    George

    ReplyDelete