Tuesday 21 May 2013

Rhoose Point

Not such a quick job going through the trap this morning!  33 species including at least three new for the garden: Bactra lacteana/lanceolana, Campion and an Oak Hook-tip.  A lot of Chinese Characters and Brimstones on the wing too.  Like George, no Orthosias with the exception of a single Hebrew Character.

The mystery of the night was the moth below.  While it is quite battered, I thought there would be enough features to allow at least a tentative id, but I haven't got anywhere with it.  Any ideas on that one?


It fairly pronounced labial palps which are not immediately obvious from the photo, and wingspan is just over an inch. 

6 comments:

  1. Adam, it's Oak Nycteoline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave - I haven't seen this form before, but now I know what it is it's obvious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is the form that prompted the moth twitchers to visit me last year, hoping it was one of the other species in the genus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moth twitchers?! And there was me thinking I'm a bit obsessive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily enough I had B&F2423 in the garden last night but not the above form as last year! Poor night only 4 species in balmy Roath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Species count up to 37 now as I found a few micros and Clouded Drab lurking around a bit of wood near the trap when I was putting it away this afternoon. One looks like a Parornix, one is probably a Monopsis, and another (much smaller than yesterdays) Coleophora which I will need to put under the 'scope when I have 5 mins. So 6-ish new for the garden record in total from last night, assuming I can id the micros down to a species.

    ReplyDelete