Sunday 26 July 2015

Creigiau - last night

A bit cooler last night, but put the trap out for GMS and managed to get everything back indoors before the heavy rain started at approx 06:00. Not a bad little haul, 59 moths of 34 species including 3 new for the year - Antler Moth, Blomer's Rivulet (only the second time I've seen this) and Udea prunalis.

Antler Moth

Blomer's Rivulet

Udea prunalis
The other highlight of the catch was my second Leopard Moth. Amusingly, when I took it out of the pot for a quick photo it played dead and lay on its side - but it curled its abdomen under and grabbed it with the hind legs ! Anyone else seen this?

Leopard Moth

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this posture adopted, but I've never noticed the legs as you've pointed out - possibly as I'm not so observant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was only the second time that I have seen a Leopard Moth - the first was a couple of weeks ago, and although it adopted the curled abdomen pose I didn't see the 'leg grip'. The abdomen appeared longer on this specimen, extending quite a way beyond the wings - one off maybe?

    ReplyDelete