Monday 20 July 2015

North of Llwydcoed Yesterday

A sunny, if breezy afternoon enticed me out to visit the area of forest around the Bryn Du gas storage facility, in the extreme north of VC41. The immediate reason was to visit the small but expanding colony of Pyramidal Orchids near there, but while up there (340 metres ASL), I also had a look for other things. There didn't seem to be much about, probably because of the breeze, but I saw a few butterflies, including Grayling, Ringlet, and Dark Green Fritillary. Without question, the highlight finding a caterpillar I have always wanted to see in the flesh; namely this superb Puss Moth. Its awkward position and equally awkward pose, together with the constant buffeting from the breeze, made photography difficult, so apologies for the quality.

To my eyes, the pattern surrounding the head resembles two black eyes and a
gaping, pink lipped mouth.



7 comments:

  1. Cracking pictures Mark. Such an amazing looking little beastie - I'd love to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Burt. I just happened to notice the pink colour as I walked past the small sallow tree. At first I thought it was a discoloured leaf, but luckily I decided to take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find and images Mark, sounds like an interesting area

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barry. Yes, an interesting site, just inside the VC41/42 border. George visited the nearby Sych Rhyd falls last winter, and posted on your Bryo site. The Pyramidal Orchids are an obviously accidental introduction, with soil brought in, probably when they were constructing the adjacent gas storage facility, but they seem happy enough and should continue spreading, unless they get wiped out by forest operations orbramble encroachment. Almost opposite them is a shallow bank of basic slag, left over from the surfacing of forest rides. This is notable for having kidney vetch and a small colony of Small Blues, though none were seen this year. A couple of years ago, I saw a Marbled White up there too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was Sam rather than me that visited the Sych Rhyd falls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry George; my memory playing tricks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another apology; this time to Howard, for calling him Burt. I am very sorry, for confusing your surname with your Christian name, Howard and you've been kind enough not to mention it, too. The confusion stems from a friend of mine, who's surname is Howard, though admittedly, his Christian name isn't Burt, but that was the cause and I apologise again for my lack of due care,

    ReplyDelete