Sunday 5 July 2015

Llandaff 4th July

This being my first ever Blog post I'd firstly like to thank Dave, for the invitation to post some images. It's much appreciated.

I trapped a few days this past week especially the really muggy evenings at the start of the week. I've had some very nice moths new to the garden and ones I've never seen before apart from the museum and books. These being Lobster Moth, Small Elephant Hawk and that wonderful Striped Hawk a few weeks back. However, I think this little moth was rather special also in the trap on Saturday morning. I've been online all night and looking in all my books and I'm sure it is a Toadflax Brocade.
I've convinced myself countless times it's not. Here's hoping.

Apoliges for the images I'm still sadly lacking a macro lens. I hope they are acceptable.









9 comments:

  1. Yes that's Toadflax brocade Stephen. I think it's a county first? There was one recorded in Gwent a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Silver striped hawk is a good record too. Did you note the date you caught it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apologies it was Striped Hawk. The one posted earlier in the month by Dave on my behalf - 12th June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a first blog! Really well done Stephen...I`m mighty jealous! Can you point all future rarities in the direction of Carmarthenshire please?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the blog Stephen, you certainly know how to make your mark! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! You must be less than a mile from me (Llandaff North) and you've had two moths this year better than anything I've had in 8 years! Keep up the good work...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou! I expect that will be my lot now. Like busses, all at once then nothing for years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome & well done. A VC41 first. Coming on the back of the Gwent record, begs the question: a true migrant or have we a colony near us? The Striped Hawk is the 23rd VC41 rec., the first in Glamorgan since 2006 and the first in Cardiff since Sept. 2003.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another cracking moth, well done!

    ReplyDelete